The epidemic concerning cryptocurrency malware is taking off to explosive heights. It’s been reported by Troy Mursch, a security researcher from Bad Packets Report that crypto-jacking scripts have infected nearly 50,000 sites. Mursch pinpointed the corrupted websites by scanning each one with PublicWWW, a source code search engine.
According to Mursch amongst the many crypto-jacking scripts, Coinhive is the most prominent and common. Of the 50,000 infected scripts, 40,000 were infected by Coinhive. That covers 81% of all the discovered cases. Crypto-Loot, Coinlmp, Minr and deepMiner make up the other 19% of the infected cases. Crypto-Loot has infect roughly 2,057 websites. Coinlmp has single handedly infected 4,119 websites, deepMiner has 2,160 infected websites to their name and Minr has infected only 692.
The hackers are relentless in their attacks. Mursch’s check up in November last year. Back then he had uncovered 30,000 unsuspecting sites running Coinhive. Since then Coinhive has become even more relentless.
It was only this past February that security researchers discovered a number of government and service agency websites infected by quietly ran crypto-jacking scripts.
A document has been posted on PasteBin file by the researcher that details 7,000 sites that have been infected since last January 20th. The document states, “Some of these sites have already removed the crypto-jacking malware. However, many remain compromised. Browse at your own risk.”
Your website doesn’t have to be a future victim to hackers on the prowl. There are steps you can take that will protect your website from Coinhive and others crypto-jacking scripts. No Coin and minerBlock are browser extensions that are designed to keep cryptocurrency miners from using your computer. They are both available on Chrome. Given the number of attacks taking place, nobody should be without these at the moment.
This article was corrected from 50,000 WordPress to 50,000 websites total infected by malware